Portland Oregon Bike Culture

Monday, October 12, 2009

Clever

Variety being the spice and all, Portland has a good deal of non-standard bikes.

What's a standard bike? I don't know anymore. From my childhood in the rural midwest, all adult bikes were of one of two styles - step through or with a top tube. Some kids had banana seats. Smaller kids had bigwheels or trikes. And that was it.

Not anymore. Mountain bikes and hybrids edged onto the public awareness internationally. But in Portland, the variety seems to go further. Zoobombers with thei mini bikes. Tall bikes. Choppers. I've yet to catch a picture of a commuting unicyclist, but I've seen several. Is it just here?

For instance, I never saw a cargo bike before I moved to the PNW. And the variety of them are endless, and they are everywhere. Here, Pop gets the toddler strapped in for the ride.


Ready to roll

No comments:

Post a Comment