Portland Oregon Bike Culture

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Twisted Sister

My years as National Mountain Bike Patrol have left me unable to pass by when a fellow biker is hurtin'. On the Hawthorn bridge, I came across a young lady with her bike against the rail, hand-turning her front wheel. There weren't many commuters anymore - the flood leaving downtown would have been a half hour before - so there weren't any experienced cyclists around to help her before I rolled up.

I'm not quite sure how she'd done it, but she'd crashed a while back and managed to swivel her front wheel 360 degrees - it was pointed in the right direction, but the cables were looped around and pulling so tight her canti brakes were in perma-lock mode. She was fine - a slight abrasion on the leg - but the wheel would not spin.

I unhooked the brakes and tried to spin the tire back around and it wouldn't go. Erp. I took off her wheel, spun her back through, and hooked everything up again. I told her I wanted her to go straight to a bike shop from here and we discussed which ones were on her route.

She seemed quite grateful, but you know, we bikers have to help each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment